Friday, July 22, 2011

Batik Weekend Results


 I used a potato masher to make these top three fabrics. I used the soy wax that I was telling you about early this week. It made washing out the soy wax easy. After batch dying I washed fabric in the sink first a cold rinse, then hot water, then hot water and soap. I could see the wax was started to lift and dissolve. So I put all the soy wax batik fabric in the washing machine and washed with soap. I like to machine wash all dyed fabric twice by machine.These three pieces are half meter and started out as White.


This blue fabric is a sampler of marks. I used a cheep paint brush for the thick lines but the wax would cool and not melt on well at first. We turned up the temperature. The circles are a large thread spool and then then great potato masher basket weave.This fabric was dyed light turquoise before I started with the soy wax.

The two more new old potato masher I got midweek. I want to do more batik but I am not sure when I will get to it. Having the other girlfriends to work with was so much fun and inspiring

2 comments:

  1. LOVE them Cathy!
    LOL - now you will be stalking all the thrift stores like I do....I have about 5 or 6, no 2 the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know much about dyeing fabric so would your pieces of dyed fabric be dry and then you would stamp them with the soy wax imprints?
    When I did a bit of silk painting (forever ago now) I remember applying the gutta( I think that is right name) which acted as a barrier before painting on the scarves. I know when we do wax crayon drawings at school, we apply the wax crayon first and then paint over them.
    I love the marks from the potato mashers.
    Thanks for sharing your fun experience.
    Regards,
    Anna

    ReplyDelete